Jason is an ABC-certified prosthetist/orthotist and clinic manager of the Lincoln Park Hanger Clinic in Chicago, Illinois and serves as the Chicago Area Residency Director.
As a clinic manager with more than 17 years of experience in the field, Jason specializes in lower extremity prosthetics including the C-Brace® computer-controlled orthotronic mobility system, knee-ankle-foot orthoses (KAFOs), custom carbon composite ankle-foot orthoses (AFOs), and management of post-polio syndrome (PPS).
Jason is passionate about working with patients to apply his knowledge of biomechanics and human movement to create designs and devices that help them increase their mobility and achieve their goals. He brings a unique perspective, as he was born without feet and part of his left hand, and has been using two prosthetic limbs for over 47 years. Since he was once a pediatric patient himself, Jason can have honest conversations with parents about the challenges of growing up with a disability. He really enjoys when a patient discovers a new way to accomplish something, or returns to the office having tried something new that they did not think they could before.
Outside of work, Jason enjoys running, reading, cooking, and spending time with his three boys. Some of their favorite activities are visiting National Parks and making LEGOS® creations.
- Bachelor of Science in Mathematics, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, 1997
- Master of Science in Biomedical Engineering, University of Michigan, 1999
- Certificate in Prosthetics, Northwestern University, 2004
- Certificate in Orthotics, Northwestern University, 2008
- Gait assessment during the initial fitting of an ankle foot orthosis in individuals with stroke. Disability and rehabilitation: Assistive technology, 2008.
- Orthotics and FES for maintenance of walking in patients with MS. Disease-a-month, 2013.
- The effects of two different ankle-foot orthoses on gait of patients with acute hemiparetic cerebrovascular accident. Rehabilitation Research and Practice, 2014.
Awards and Recognitions
- Jason swam in three Paralympic Games (1992, 1996, and 2000), winning five Gold and one Bronze medal. His world record in the 1500m Freestyle, set in 2000, still stands.
- 2008 Tharnhardt Lecture Award: 34th Annual Meeting and Scientific Symposium of the American Academy of Orthotics and Prosthetics
- 2009 AAOP Midwest Chapter Gunther Ghel Resident Award
- 2012 Fellow of the American Academy of Orthotics and Prosthetics