John is an ABC-certified prosthetist and clinic manager for Hanger Clinic in Oak Park, Illinois.
As a clinic manager with more than 42 years of experience in the field, John specializes in pediatric lower extremity prosthetics for congenital and acquired conditions. His expertise includes microprocessor knees, sub-atmospheric/vacuum-assisted devices, and challenging or hard-to-fit patients. John often continues to see his pediatric patients into their adult years, forming a lifelong connection with them and their families.
John is passionate about using prosthetic craftsmanship and technology to help people reach, or return to, the activity levels important to their quality of life. He loves seeing all the incredible things children can do with their new prostheses, and their enthusiastic attitudes where nothing slows them down and they are always looking for their next adventure.
John truly cherishes the relationships he has developed with patients and their families, and the opportunity to watch children develop into adulthood during their care journey. He feels blessed to have watched many of his pediatric patients become certified prosthetic practitioners themselves!
Extending his commitment beyond Hanger Clinic offices, John designs and fits facemasks for burn patients at all Chicago-area burn units. He also conducts prosthetic in-services for area hospitals and attends prosthetic clinics at Loyola University Medical Center, Shriners Hospital, and facilities in the Vanguard Hospital System.
Outside of work, family is most important in John’s life. He enjoys being active, and socializing with family and friends.
- Bachelor of Science in Occupational Therapy, University of Illinois, 1979
- Certificate of Prosthetics, Northwestern University, 1980
- Pinzur MS, Angelico J. A feasibility trial of a prefabricated immediate postoperative prosthetic limb system. Foot Ankle Int. 2003
- Faculty of Northwestern University’s prosthetic program
- Fellow of the American Academy of Orthotics & Prosthetics
- Actively participates in the Illinois Society of Orthotists, Prosthetists, and Pedorthists; the American Occupational Therapy Association; the Association of Children`s Prosthetic-Orthotic Clinics; the Amputee Coalition of America; and the American Academy of Orthotists and Prosthetists and its Midwest Chapter, of which he was a past director
Awards and Recognitions
- 2002 Outstanding Contribution Award, Hearts In Motion
- 2005 10 years’ service as paid on-call firefighter
- 2019 Clinical Commitment Award, American Academy of Orthotists and Prosthetists (AAOP)