Lakshmi Narayan is an American Board Certified and Illinois Licensed Prosthetist and Orthotist. He attends a variety of weekly clinics at University of Illinois Hospital at Chicago, including an Ambulatory Rehab Amputee clinic, Neuro-Rehab clinic, Spine-Scoliosis clinic, and Pediatric Orthopedic clinic. He is the former director of the Orthotics-Prosthetics Department at Children Orthopaedic Hospital in Mumbai, India. He has over 15 years of experience in the field of prosthetics & orthotics.
He specializes in fitting Scoliosis orthoses and Cranial remolding helmets for the treatment of plagiocephaly and brachycephaly. He works closely with craniofacial department at University of Illinois Hospital at Chicago. He has extensive experience in lower extremity prosthetics and all types of Pediatric Orthotic and Prosthetic management, and enjoys working with patients of all ages.
Lakshmi received a Bachelor of Science in Prosthetics and Orthotics from Bombay University (All India Institute of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation) and completed the post-graduate program in orthotics at Northwestern University in Chicago. He is a member of the American Academy of Orthotists and Prosthetists & its Midwest chapter, and an active mentor to NCOPE residents.
Additional Courses and Certifications
- International Society of Prosthetics & Orthotics short-term courses on management of polio and lower limb orthotics
- Certified to fit the Ossur Power Knee, Ossur Rheo knee, Proprio Foot, Endolite Orion knee, Elan foot, iWalk Bionic Foot, Otto Bock C-Leg
- Trained in FES for foot drop (WalkAide & Bioness Systems)
- Trained in the GOSS approach to conservative Scoliosis treatment using computer aided design
Awards and Involvement
- Lectures P&O to various groups including the medical students & residents (department of Orthopedics) at University of Illinois Hospital at Chicago
- Best Dissertation Award for promoting medical research by All India Institute of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (under The Ministry of Health & Family welfare, Gov. of India), 1998
- Best Student Scientific Paper Award from the Orthotics & Prosthetics Society of India for the “Advanced electronic mobility chair for physically handicap (S3),” 1998
- Presented various research papers on orthotics and prosthetics