There are a variety of organizations that specialize in supporting the amputee and mobility-impaired communities. Some offer general support, while others specialize in those with specific diagnoses.* Organizations that may offer financial assistance for orthotic or prosthetic care are marked with **.
AMPOWER offers a supportive amputee community and a place to gather suggestions for more resources.
Helpful Organizations Guide
This guide includes a variety of organizations that specialize in supporting the amputee and mobility-impaired communities.
Hanger Clinic cannot accept donations, but the following organizations can help you find the right way to donate new and gently used devices and components.
- The Amputee Coalition provides a list of organizations that accept gently used prosthetic devices and components.
- Limbs for Life Foundation collects used prosthetics and prosthetic componentry, plus unused socks for liners, as part of the World Limb Bank.
- Prosthetic Hope International accepts a variety of prosthetic and orthotic items.
- Abilities Expo hosts events that bring together helpful products and services
- The Amputee Coalition
- Limbs for Life Foundation** can help fund lower limb prosthetic care
- Mental Health America
- National Amputation Foundation**
- National Odd Shoe Exchange
Resources for Children (and Their Caregivers)
- Adventure Amputee Camp
- Camp No Limits, for children with limb loss or limb difference
- The Inner Wheel USA Foundation** provides myoelectric prostheses to children
- Helping Hands Foundation
- International Child Amputee Network
- The Jordan Thomas Foundation** offers support to children who experience limb loss due to traumatic injury
- Shriners Hospitals for Children** provides care, including prosthetic care, to children up to age 18 based on medical need, regardless of the family’s ability to pay
Resources for Specific Conditions
- Your local American Cancer Society**
- Cancer Survivors’ Fund**
- Your local Diabetes Association**
- Move for Jenn** funds active-wear prosthetics for those that have lost limbs to cancer
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society
- Sepsis Alliance
- Trauma Survivors Network
Resources for Sports and Recreation
- Achilles International (running)
- Adaptive Action Sports (action sports)
- Adaptive Sports USA (general sports)
- Blaze Sports America (general sports and recreation)
- Challenge Aspen (skiing and snowboarding)
- Challenge Magazine (general sports)
- Challenged Athletes Foundation** (general sports)
- Endeavor Games (general sports)
- Footprints Adventures (travel recreation)
- International Paralympic Committee
- National Alliance for Accessible Golf** (golf)
- National Amputee Golf Association (golf)
- Orthotic and Prosthetic Activities Foundation (general recreation)
- Paradox Sports (climbing)
- U.S. Paralympics
- United States Tennis Association
- Yoga for Amputees
Resources for Veterans
- Angel Wings for Veterans helps secure transportation to clinical care
- Gary Sinise Foundation
- The Independence Fund**
- Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation
- Wounded Warrior Project
- The Veteran’s Administration
*This is not a complete list of resources, nor an official endorsement from Hanger Clinic.